I am very flattered that MerrylandGirl nominated me for the Liebster Award. Thank you, Melissa! The Liebster Award is an award given by the blogging community to new and upcoming bloggers with less than 200 followers. (Well, I certainly fit into that category…hint, hint!)
The rules for the Liebster Award are as follows:
1) Tell 11 things about yourself.
2) Answer 11 questions from the blogger who nominated you.
3) Post 11 questions for those who will be nominated by you.
4) nominate 11 bloggers.
5) Get in contact with those bloggers to inform them that you nominated them.
Here are my 11 facts:
1) I drink coffee with half and half. Can’t do milk, unless we’re talking a LOT of milk. Oh, and sugar, too. In college, I tried to be cool and drink my coffee black, but YIKES! Nowadays, black coffee would burn a hole through my stomach!
2) I am a pathetic housekeeper (much to my husband’s dismay). I might be allergic to cleaning. Honest! A long time ago, in desperate times, I got a job at a cleaning service. On my first day, after using some of the cleaning products, my right eyeball swelled up to twice its normal size. I’m not actually sure if this was due to the cleaning chemicals, but it still makes for a great excuse!
3) I have a birthmark that is a congregation of freckles on my left leg in the shape of Australia–which is probably why I have such a huge thing for Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe.
4) I have never watched Jersey Shore, Honey Boo Boo, any of the Real Housewives Shows, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, or American Idol. I do, however, love any and all reality shows that deal with cooking.
5) I have the same birth date as Julia Child and Napolean Bonaparte. No comment necessary.
6) I secretly want to get a tattoo, but wouldn’t know how to hide it from my kids, husband, and, most especially, my father!
7) I can’t draw. At all. I can make a cake in the shape of pretty much anything, but I wouldn’t be able to sketch it first because my drawings look like a preschooler made them.
8) I read PEOPLE Magazine in the bathroom. Nowhere else, just the bathroom. I feel that this location is appropriate.
9) A few years ago, I wrote a very steamy novella–we’re talking 50 Shades steamy–and submitted it to Harlequin. It was summarily rejected.
10) I would eat sushi 365 days a year. (However, I cannot afford to eat sushi 365 days a year.) But I don’t like cooked fish. Broiled Halibut? Shudder. Grilled salmon? No, thank you. I will occasionally eat fish and chips, but we all know that has nothing to do with the fish itself.
11) My favorite sound is my children’s laughter. No, wait, it’s a tie between my children’s laughter and the oven timer going off when I’m baking a Tollhouse Pie.
Questions from Merrylandgirl:
1) What did you want to be when you grew up? I wanted to be the 5th Beatle. Problem was, I didn’t really discover the Beatles until after John Lennon was shot.
2) What was the best thing that happened to you in 2012? My debut novel, SOMETHING NEW, came out on November 6 from Penguin USA. The next day, at my first-ever book signing, I sold out, and the Barnes and Nobles event coordinator told me it was the first time a debut novelist had ever sold out at that store.
3) If you had to perform at a karaoke bar, what song would you sing? Funny that you ask this question–I’ve performed on stage and at music clubs, but I have never been to a karaoke bar and was thinking about trying it–you know, ‘something new’ and all. Ever since Madagascar 3 came out, my daughter and I have been belting Katy Perry’s Firework out around the house. Maybe I’d do that. Maybe something by Janis Joplin, although that really dates me, doesn’t it?
4) If you could live someplace else besides where you currently live, where would it be and why? I have a fantasy of living in the south of France, writing novels in between drinking wine, exploring the beautiful countryside, and eating croissants at the nearby boulangerie with the warm-hearted and welcoming locals (cue montage music, please).
5) If you were to take me on a tour of the town where you live, what is a must-see? I could take you to the beach or downtown or to Irrasae Sushi (see Fun Fact #10), but if you were here in winter, I’d take you to a spot just up the hill from my house. If you look in one direction, you can see the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island, and if you look in the other direction, you can see snow-capped mountains in the distance. Very cool.
6) Given I’m a book addict, tell me your favorite book of all time. Wow. Really tough question. How can I pick just one? I love so many books. Recently, Water For Elephants, anything Jennifer Weiner, anything that makes me laugh out loud, even in public, A Suitable Boy, by Vikram Seth, which my mother made me read, and although I resisted for years, when I finally opened it, I couldn’t put it down. I can tell you that I’ve read The Talisman, by Stephen King and Peter Straub, three times. Something about the parallel universes and Jack’s plight really spoke to me. In fact, it’s about time for me to read it again…
7) What movie, in your opinion, should never, EVER, be remade? When Harry Met Sally and Jaws. You will never find two people with chemistry like Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal, and no matter how advanced special effects become, the original Jaws cannot be topped.
8) Tell me the last thing you dreamed about (while sleeping), no matter how crazy it sounds. I wish you’d asked me this last week, when I could have reported a lascivious dream starring Hugh Jackman…but the last thing I dreamed about was being back at my old job in my old restaurant in New York. It was lovely, though, because I was hanging out with my boss who has since passed away. I didn’t want the dream to end and was a little sad when I woke up.
9) What is the nicest thing someone did for you recently? Nominating me for the Liebster Award, Merrylandgirl!
10) What is your favorite month and why? September, because I got married in September and both my kids were born that month.
11) With the Oscars coming up, I’d like to ask this question: What movie (of any year) should have won an Oscar but didn’t? Or which movie won but shouldn’t have? Well, for some reason, I have a thing against Chariots of Fire. I mean, seriously, guys running in slow motion on a beach vs. Harrison Ford in Raiders of the Lost Ark, fighting Nazis, snakes, and creepy, face-peeling ghouls? No contest.
11 Questions for my Nominees:
1) What is the last ‘something new’ you tried?
2) What is something you’ve always wanted to try but never have? (and why haven’t you?)
3) Who is the last new author you fell in love with and the last new book you read?
4) What cartoon character do you identify the most with and why?
5) What dessert do you crave more than any other?
6) Who is your biggest celebrity crush of all time?
7) If you were trapped in an elevator for hours, what (besides your cell phone) would you want to have with you?
8) Which person in your life do you rely on most?
9) Describe your proudest moment.
10) If you could be any kind of pet, which would you be and why?
11) What is your favorite place that you’ve ever visited or lived?
My Nominees (some of whom don’t fit the number requirement, but I love their blogs):